Utility Management Training Opportunities
The following organizations offer training opportunities geared toward water utility managers.
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona (ITCA) – Tribal Water Systems: The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona Tribal Water Systems program provides training, certification and technical assistance to help build Tribal capacity in operating, maintaining and managing sustainable drinking and wastewater systems. Training and certification opportunities include a new Tribal utility management certification. Training opportunities are free of charge, although you are responsible for travel and lodging, and available to all Tribes across the country.
- Rural Utility Business Advisor (RUBA) Program: The RUBA program created by the Alaska Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development offers eight courses geared toward water and sanitation utility managers including courses for operational, organizational, personnel, financial and planning management. Courses are held in Alaska and are open to all rural utility managers. Check their training calendar for upcoming courses or contact John Nickels at (907) 269-4564 for more information.
- Native American Water Association (NAWA) – Training Available: The Native American Water Association provides some unique training opportunities, including management focused courses such as managers role in employee relations, concepts of motivational management, leadership styles and abilities and more. The courses are conducted across the country and are provided for free by NAWA. Training attendees are required to secure their own food and lodging. Check their training calendar for upcoming courses or contact Tom Crawford at (775) 782-6636 for more information.
- Rural Community Assistance Corporation (RCAC) – Trainings: The Rural Community Assistance Corporation serves rural communities in 13 Western states and Pacific Islands. RCAC provides a variety of trainings relevant to community water systems such as Achieving and Maintaining Compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, Basic Roles & Responsibilities for Board Members and Rate Setting. Trainings are offered live and online and are free of charge. They are targeted at small water systems in California, but trainings are open to all Tribes.
- State of Alaska, Training Coalition Calendar – This regularly updated calendar details online and in person trainings for Water Plan Operators and Utility Managers.