Operator Training Opportunities
The better equipped that you are with knowledge needed to carry out your job, the more confident and comfortable you will feel in their position. There are a wide variety of training and certification opportunities offered in all regions of the country. Identify areas of your work that you are interested in learning more about and search for an opportunity to attend a related training or workshop. Connecting with the tribal water community allows you to learn from peers and often leads to ideas for improvement of local services. Below is a list of organizations offering operator training and certification opportunities.
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona (ITCA) – Tribal Water Systems: The Inter Tribal Council of Arizona Tribal Water Systems program provides training, certification and technical assistance to help build Tribal capacity in operating, maintaining and managing sustainable drinking and wastewater systems. Training and certification opportunities include level 1-4 water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment and new Tribal utility management certification. Training opportunities are free of charge, although you are responsible for travel and lodging, and available to all Tribes across the country. Region: Nationwide
- Rural Community Assistance Corporation (RCAC) – Trainings: The Rural Community Assistance Corporation serves rural communities in 13 Western states and Pacific Islands. RCAC provides a variety of trainings relevant to community water systems such as Achieving and Maintaining Compliance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, Basic Roles & Responsibilities for Board Members and Rate Setting. Trainings are offered live and online and are free of charge. Region: Targeted at small water systems in California, but trainings are open to all Tribes
- Native American Water Association (NAWA) – Training Available: The Native American Water Association provides some unique training opportunities. Aside from Class 1-4 water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection, treatment and laboratory, they also provide management focused training, on- site training and offer an operator apprenticeship program. Region: Nationwide
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Water – Alaska Training Coalition Calendar: This calendar includes an extensive list of training available to operators and water/sanitation utility managers. The trainings occur across Alaska as well as online.
- United South & Eastern Tribes (USET) – Training: The United South & Eastern Tribes, Inc. offers training to member Tribes on basic water and wastewater operations, laboratory analysis and procedures, basic math, electricity, developing Consumer Confidence Reports and more. Training opportunities are typically emailed directly to Tribes and usually occur onsite. Visit their website for contact information or click here to see a list of Training Opportunities for USET area Tribes. Region: USET area Tribes